all the things in my life that need changing or relate to it.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

call the waaaaambulance I'm whining.

Another Sunday weigh in, another week of weight loss.  HO HUM.  This weeks official number 215.2.  The continued weight loss is great!  But, I feel like I should be seeing more aggressive results.  I feel like the .8-1lb per week I have been losing isn't enough.  I know that is not the correct way to think but sometimes I hop on the scale on Sundays hoping to see some magic week of 5 lbs weight loss or more.  I guess I should just be happy that I am continually losing weight. 



Don't feel bad for me I am just complaining.  There are plenty of other people out there suffering through crushing weight with no hope of loss.  Just watch an episode of the Documentary Series "Heavy" sometimes.  That show is both inspirational and tragic.  To see someone who through many avenues, years of overeating, and most likely some mental or physical health issues has blown up to 400, 500, even 600lbs will crush you.  You then follow them through their education on how to properly cook and eat.  The participants are also taught how to exercise, given tools for success, and membership to a gym for a year with a personal trainer for 6 months.  If the participant doesn't comply they are sent back to the boot camp for 1 more month of intensive training.  By the end of the show most participants have lost anywhere from 50 to 150lbs in a 6 month period.  The only thing that you don't get to see is a follow-up with the participant greater than 6 months after the show.  I am sure there will be a followup series that will chronicle the successes and failures of the participant as well.  (if that wasn't planned A&E I want a cut!)  I feel like I could probably predict the people that will stick with the program and those that will go back to their old ways with pretty good success.  The problem with many of the people on that show is that they don't have a good support network at home.  I feel bad for many of the people because the families they go home to are enablers and in the same condition as the participant.  It's tragic to see a wife who just wants to succeed on that show only to come home to a husband who is morbidly obese himself and their kids who are also on the road to the same problem.  The wife tries so hard to succeed in her weight loss only to have a husband basically sabotaging everything she is doing.  The show falls short in that they don't offer any support, counseling, or education to the families of the participants.  The show is definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen an episode yet I highly recommend Heavy.   

3 comments:

Susan Tirch said...

I had it on the DVR before we moved and then we moved and went back to satellite (thank God) and forgot to put it back on. I havdn't watched it yet. I wanna watch!

Susan Tirch said...

P.S. Weight loss is weight loss and you said yourself you had a bad week of exercise. So get back out there and hit it hard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

thats the kinda motivation i need! high five!