all the things in my life that need changing or relate to it.

Monday, February 21, 2011

where do we go from here?

The baby is developing well, my wife is being a trooper, and I well, where do I go from here?  I'm not a dad yet, I am more a dad in training.  I know next to nothing about raising children.  Am I scared?  No.  Nervous?  A little.  Unprepared?  Absolutely! 

I have some of the books at home that the wife is reading, any suggestions on a good book for a soon to be father? 

I must say the first few months of this journey have been interesting.  Christine's nausea was there almost everyday but with a little gingerale and some saltines she was able to get through it most days.  What amazed me more than anything was the level of fatigue that she suffered from.  Most days she would wake up very tired, go to work for 10-11 hours, come home barely get in food before she fell asleep on the couch.  Bedtime would come most nights around 8 or 815.  Then she would get up the next morning and repeat the whole process.  I have a new found respect for women who have to suffer through this because I would be miserable.  

I have also learned during this period that on most days even when on my best behavior I am an incredible ass.  I have a way of saying something I find amusing and feel is harmless only to turn around to see my wife with the waterworks turned on!  What an ASS!  Then she says, its not you its these damn hormones and it gives us something to laugh about later!  Only...I am still an ass...guess that won't change! 

The second trimester started this week and hopefully this fatigue begins to fade and I get my wife back for a while.  The nausea has subsided and we were able to go out for dinner for the first time in over 3 months this past weekend.  I know she will be very happy when the fatigue subsides because she really wants to go to the gym and workout some of her stress.

We are both very excited for what the future holds and we will be depending on our family and friends for all the advice necessary to get through the tough times!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are not an ass!!! Things will most certainly get better. My advice is to not read all those books, you are a good man and it will come naturally.

Don't worry about it so much.