all the things in my life that need changing or relate to it.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

it's been awhile.

No one ever said this kids thing would be easy!  It has been a while since the last time I wrote  a blog.  This one is going to be somewhat short but its more of an update.  As a new dad I am trying to find a way to balance being there for my wife and newborn son, work, get things done around the house, sleep (whenever possible) and still continue on the weight watchers/exercise path.

The first week with Noah being home I actually lost 2 lbs, most likely because I wasn't eating very regularly because when Noah slept, we slept.  Then I returned to work after 10 days at home and was able to resume my regular weight watchers meal schedule.  That first week home with the baby was pretty rough sleep wise as well and my running/biking fell off the wagon because of it.  I did no physical activity besides cutting the grass in the first 14 days of Noah's life.  I have recently given up on trying to wake up at 550am to go run before work and have decided until he starts sleeping better that I am just going to have to run or workout on my days off.  In the last 7 days I have run 3 times for a total of 30 minutes each and about 9 miles total. All of my runs have been on the treadmill while Noah and Christine were pleasantly asleep upstairs.  I really wanted to try to get out and go for another bike ride last week but due to some poor rainy weather in the burgh I was unable.  I am definitely going to look into getting  kurtkinetic bike trainer for the winter though.  More on that later.


We are slowly getting Noah switched from being an asleep all day, awake most of the night baby.  I still feel he sleeps better during the day but he is definitely beginning to adjust.  He is feeding pretty consistently every 2.5-4 hours, man when that kid is hungry look out...he just wants to eat and accepts no substitutes!!  He has changed so much in his first three weeks, and is definitely filling out!! He was born at 7lb 9oz, left the hospital at 7lb 6oz.  At his last Dr. appointment (10 days after birth) he was 7lb 11oz, and is not due back in the office until his 1 month appointment. 

We are definitely a bit sleep deprived these days but are adjusting to his schedule as best we can.  Long days at work like today can sometimes be strenuous mentally but it's nothing I can't handle.

Expect more soon as I continue to adjust to living in Noah's world. 

2 comments:

susan @ mom swim bike run said...

I've been wondering how you guys are doing. It's such a huge adjustment and you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work. Workouts will get easier later when he decides he wants to sleep through the night and look at it this way, you'll be so used to getting up at 3 am you can workout then and go back to bed. heh!

Unknown said...

spoken like a true mom susan! lol