all the things in my life that need changing or relate to it.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Why We Run.

Let me start off by saying I don't feel bad for Ben Comen in fact, I am very happy that Ben Comen found running.  Watching this story had a profound effect on me a few years ago and I want to share this amazing young mans story with the world.  I first saw this story on an episode of ESPN Sportscenter a few years back.  I was getting ready for work and while watching it I was balling like a little baby.  I'm not a cryer and I am thinking to myself dude, get it together!!  But then I felt this overwhelming feeling of happiness in the story because Ben overcomes so much to be a part of this team it's just amazing.   If you don't smile, choke back tears, and watch in awe at the power of the human spirit in this kid you need to check your pulse.

After being part of the Cross Country team in high school and now getting back into running I can tell you that the way his teammates respond to his drive is everything that is good about running.  It's the mindset of a group of people who strive for individual achievement but come together so strongly for someone who is just like them, a runner.  I beg you to take the 8 minutes or so will take to watch this video.  There is so much this young man can teach you about life and the value of being part of something bigger than yourself.


Why do you run?  Is it to keep in shape?  Is it to feel better about yourself?  Or is it to feel like you belong to a team, a fraternity of runners, a group of like minded people who share your love for the run?

I run because I love it and I hope that never changes.  I promise to raise my son to be as accepting and amazing as the teammates of this young man as well!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup, just cried like a baby....wow.

Unknown said...

yeah, its a great story. lol makes you wanna go run eh? I just cut the grass when i got home...and got the itch so i went for a 20 minute run. it was friggin hot. lol