all the things in my life that need changing or relate to it.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Super Salad.

Busy Mondays are a gift when you are trying to lose weight.  I find myself making poor food decisions when I get bored at work.  It also doesn't help that my store is stocked up with all my favorite salty snacks like chips, crackers, combos, cheez-its, and candy.  You see, I am a salty snacker and would walk past candy all day and never touch it but if you put out a bowl of chips and dip I am like superman around kryptonite.



Today for breakfast I made a 2 egg omelet stuffed with fresh cut tomatoes and doused in hot sauce.  For lunch I had a 7 point Weight watchers meal (Chicken Enchilada Suiza) and for a snack I had a Fiber Now bar from Aldi (4points).

I decided to stop at the supermarket on the way home to get some more lunch foods, some healthy snack items, and more fruits and veggies.  My fridge is now stocked with apples, pears, grapes, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, mushrooms, and more.

I have 22 points left for the day so I really wanted to fill up on the healthy stuff so I went nuts when I got home.  I made a quarter pound turkey burger with (85/15) ground turkey seasoned lightly with season salt (6 points).  The burger was served on a multigrain bagel thin (3 points) with a bed of lettuce and my favorite Claussen pickle slices and a little spicy mustard.  It was so delicious.  I was shocked how good the turkey burger tastes and at 140-160 calories they are a great replacement for beef.



I knew the burger wouldn't completely fill me up because it's just not enough food.  So I also decided to take advantage of the 0 point vegetables and whip up a super salad.  I used about 3 cups of bitter young greans, a half cup of diced red peppers, a half cup of grape tomatoes, a cup of cucumbers, a small handful of broccoli and cauliflower florets.  I also used a quarter cup of baby bella mushrooms, 10 green olives (1 point), about 10-15 hot pepper rings, an ounce of skim milk feta cheese (2 points), 3 teaspoons of EVOO (3 points), and a good amount of balsamic vinegar.  Then I crushed some black pepper, dried hot peppers, and a little kosher salt on top. 



Total dinner points 15.

Hungry Man Rating:  Stuffed to the rafters and very happy!

That was definitely a manly salad.  It had some spicey kick, was really filling and just a bit of salty mixed in.  Although with all those vegetables I do think my wife should be very afraid, maybe I will be a good husband and go take some beano now before things get ugly later!  If I can continue to fill up on all these healthy options this lifestyle change is going to be a piece of cake! mmmmm cake!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmmm cake. Keep up the good work brother. :) Maybe someday soon we can do a race together!

Unknown said...

MMM CAKE IS RIGHT! Thanks little sis! I think we should definitely sign up for a race. pick one you want to do and let me know!

I will send you an email a little later with some races that are available soon.

Unknown said...

Ron, you are awesome........keep up the good work:)

Unknown said...

thanks joyce! you're the cooooolest.