all the things in my life that need changing or relate to it.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

FitDad or FatDad.

Back when I started this weight loss journey there were really only two options for me.  Continue on the path I was headed down and be a Fat Dad, or change everything and be a Fit Dad.  I chose Fit Dad and am loving every minute of it.

It hasn't been easy at times life has thrown up walls in front of me and challenged me at every turn.
Life always gets in the way but its how you get over those walls that makes you a success.

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

-Charles R. Swindoll


I love that quote because it is so true when you think about the direction you take in your life.  My ultimate goal is to lose 60lbs and get comfortable in my skin again.  But I am proud because it's my goal and my life.  My attitude is positive regardless of the outcomes each week because I know that every step I take away from fat dad towards fit dad makes me a better example for my son.

It doesn't hurt to have cheerleaders in life.  I have always made it a priority to surround myself with good positive people.  My family is always there for me and I am blessed with a wife that supports me even when I drive her nuts.  It doesn't hurt to have great friends either, especially friends who will make bright yellow supportive signs during the warrior dash and try to embarrass you in front of 11,000 other people.



It also helps to have a friend (Wendy) who isn't afraid to sling a little mud around!  Because sometimes in life you have to roll up your sleeves and get dirty!


Put in the hard work and put in the time, and you will be rewarded because you will no longer be a fat dad, you will be a fit dad.

The warriordash was a great event to really remind me how much life is about attitude and remembering what its like to be a kid again running in the woods and playing in the mud.  Sure its a corny to say but racing/running in general is in us from the day we take our first steps as a child.  Think about the first time your own child or another young one you know learned to walk...how long did they stay walking?  I bet it wasn't long.  I bet they broke into a run long before they were truly capable to sustain it.  It's in our nature to have fun and love life, it takes alot of energy to be negative and angry all the time.  So change your attitude and get out there and do something fun.  Forget about work for a day, put down the computer, sign off of facebook and get out there and have some fun with your friends or your kids and act like a kid again.



 
When you can keep your exercise and fitness routines fun and enjoyable they feel a lot less like work and a lot more like being a kid again.

Because inside every Fit dad is a fat dad who remembered what it was like to be a kid again...oh yeah, and fit dads get to eat like a caveman with much less guilt.

No comments: