We found out that Christine was pregnant a few days after our 1 year wedding anniversary in December. That was one of the most exciting days in my life to this date. I was sitting on my couch a few days after the New Year and I had a thought. Do I want to raise a child being out of shape and overweight? Thoughts of me being a blob on the couch unable to chase my kid around raced through my brain. SURE, it would take alot more weight gain for me to become said blob on the couch, but I had to make an effort now to prevent that.
As fate would have it I saw a nutrisystem commercial on tv and did some research on line about it, only to find out that its at least $300 a month and the meals are prefrozen. YUCK. I wanted something to make sure that I learned the proper way to eat, but could also eat what I wanted when I wanted it. (did I just use want too much in one sentence?) I then settled on weight watchers for men online. A program that encourages healthy eating, exercise, but doesn't restrict the foods you eat. By design if I chose to I could eat twinkies and doritos all day, but as long as I didn't exceed my totals for points for the day I would still lose about 1-2lbs a week. My ultimate goal is to get back down to a healthy body weight of around 170lbs. Based on the previous formula of 1-2lbs a week I should hopefully be able to reach my goal in 6months to a year. A completely realistic goal to lose 50lbs in my opinion.
FFAAATTTMMMMMAAANNNNNNNN Flashback!
I have a friend Susan that blogs as well (momswimbikerun), and she occasionally does "get to know your blogger" segments that go a little more in depth into who she is. I couldn't steal that idea, so instead you get FATMAN Flashbacks where we flashback to the days when I was much more fit and athletic. When I graduated from high school I was a svelte 140lbs 5'7" could run a sub 5 minute mile, and a 5k in 17:59 (one time only, 5k PR). I ran cross country, indoor track, and played as a starter in men's volleyball. From 1997 when i graduated until I graduated from college in 2003 I grew a few more inches to 5'11", and was about 180lbs. I was fresh out of Pharmacy school had a great paying job and more money than I had ever made in my life.
I spent the majority of my time away from work drinking heavily, partying, and eating anything and everything I could find. In 2007 I reached the heaviest point in my life at around 255lbs. I started running almost daily back then and got down to around 235. I met Christine in August of that year and continued running and got down into the 220's. Christine and I were no stranger to nights out drinking and eating at nice restaurants so weight loss for me didn't happen. I continued running and did my first half marathon last year. Without a proper diet in place though I didn't lose much weight but could tell that I was getting in better shape. Which brings us today where I have put all the pieces together to give myself the best chance to succeed. I am doing this for myself, but also for my future son or daughter. I want to be a good influence as a father as well as in the kitchen! I hope to be able to pass on the healthy lifestyle choices I am making now on to my child.
Check out the legs on this guy and that hair is sweeeeeet!
I think that's enough yapping about myself for now.



4 comments:
I can't believe that is you! P.S. 170 seems so little! Just sayin'
hahaha...i loved that picture. it was the highlight of my senior year. you should have seen the shoes i was wearing. Fluorescent green and orange nike running flats.
and 170 is perfect for my frame because my ideal body weight is between 136-174. 176 puts me out of the BMI range for my height. Granted BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass when figuring out weight. But right now I don't think I have a substantial enough amount of muscle mass to matter.
you'll see when I get to 170 its not as little as you think ;)
lol oh the Ron that I remember from when we lived in the same house...haha. I have to laugh at that picture; your hair was crazy! I enjoyed this blog entry. Keep it up! PS I think I'm the only Obringer that hasn't gained 50+ pounds since high school, although in your defense, you three were all super under weight and I was over weight back in the day... oh wait I still am hehe. :) WE MUST RUN TOGETHER SOON!!!!
we will absolutely start running together soon. maybe we can try to meet once a week in southpark after work...as soon as noah's rain and floods (and snow) leave the pittsburgh area. I could always use the motivation of a planned run to keep me on track!!
Post a Comment